Old 14-09-2005, 05:32 PM
William Wagner

In article .com,
"me" wrote:

Hi,

I live in Southeast PA. I am removing several box elder trees (aka
ashleaf maple, manitoba maple). I don't really want to do this, but
they are huge and falling apart (occasionally dropping very large
limbs) and they are also attracting large amounts of boxelder beetles
which enter my home in the fall. I would like suggestions for a tree
species to replace them with. My soil has high clay content and my zone
is 6b. I think the soil is slightly acidic, but I need to retest it.

An ideal tree would be something very hardy that grows fast. I'd much
rather have a deciduous leaf tree than something with needles. A native
species is preferred, but I'd consider others.

Thanks

I love the deciduous pine tree in our yard. Fast and hardy vs. slow
and beautiful ...consider Kousa Dogwood. Japanese Maple upright type
another question.

So many options! I'd walk about your area and inquire with the owner
when something catches your interest.

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 S Jersey USA in a Japanese Jungle Manner.39.6376 -75.0208
Moose I'm trying to understand why Kamikaze pilots wear helments?