Old 14-09-2005, 05:32 PM
paghat

In article wyQVe.22299$Qv6.3927@trndny04, "Travis"
wrote:

paghat wrote:
In article , Richard
wrote:

(paghat) wrote in
news
snip...

This morning I hit three nearby nursery sales. I got 'Sundown'
Echinacea which is one of those patented plants which cost way,
way, way too much for their first year of introduction, but at
half price is only a normal price. It's the reddest echinacea
I've ever seen.

end snip...

-paghat the ratgirl

Do you mean Echinacea Big Sky "Sunset" (PPAF)? The nurseries that
carry it here (southeast Nebraska) are still charging a lot for
it (obviously they know that autumn is a good time for planting
here), but I was able to get the lemon-yellow "Sunrise" from a
seller at the local farmer's market for a fairly decent price,
and in bloom with more buds - no "Sunset" though.

Richard

The plug grower who distributes this perennial provides a full color
nursery tag that calls it 'Sundown' & at their website they call it
'Sundown' he

http://www.itsaulplants.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=4 2

But the same ItSaul calls it 'Sunset' on this page:
http://www.itsaulplants.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=conecrazy.main

This year it has been listed randomly in sundry catalogs under both
names, & even the original grower seems not to have decided on a
single Trademark name. The actual registered cultivar name however
is 'Evan Saul' which is the name of Richard Saul's son (the hybrid
having been developed by the Saul Brothers nursery in Atlanta).

There are many new echinacea cultivars, most of them compact &
semi-dwarf & really very fine plants. Some of my favorites of this
new area of development includes the white 'Fragrant Angel' which
has a pleasant honey odor lacking in most echinaceas, tangerine
colored 'Mango Meadowbright,' 'Doubledecker' which has a second
circle of petals near the top of the cone, & 'Razzmatazz' which is
the first true double coneflower & looks like a purple pompom with
a radically reflexed short collar.

It looks like every year for the next few years gardeners can look
forward to a whole new array of similarly spiffy introductions,
because after a long neglect of coneflowers' potential for color
variants & hybridization, there are now several growers focused on
the genus.

-paghat the ratgirl

Sundown is 8" to 10" taller than Sunset according to the web site you
referenced.

It's taller than 'Sunrise' its yellow partner. The orange 'Sunset' aka
'Sundown' are the same plant.

-paggers
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he