Old 14-09-2005, 03:07 PM
rburr49

Default UK - overstocked pond

We have had our 250 gallon pond for around six years and now 7 Koi in
it - a number of which were from when we built the pond. The pond is
well-oxygenated and well filtered. However the fish have grown
considerably and we reckon there is 84" of fish now which as we
understand it means we have roughly 4x as much fish as we should have
for the volume of water. They are nonetheless healthy and we're fond of
them but some will have to go. What are our options? We would like the
ones we get rid of to a) go to a good home (natch) and ideally
together. Of course they must be worth a few quid but that is secondary
to us (but we're not daft). We have 3 or 4 16"+ ones we would have to
remove and would keep 3 including one really nice large one.

If we want to sell them, where can we best sell them and is it
practical to send them to someone rather than have them collected? how?

Can we release them into the wild? (There's a nice NT place near us
that has a pond full of carp but we suspect if we asked permission they
would say no).

What other options?

Thanks,
RB