Old 14-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Gail Futoran

"Terry" wrote in message
I have a small pre-formed pond, which obviously means a plastic bottom.
This summer, four small frogs appeared out of nowhere and decided to
stay all season. Is there any way to encourage them to hibernate here as
well? I know the choice is their 's but is there anything I can do to
the pond to make it cosier for the winter?

Terry

I think frogs deal well with cold, better than
fish, at any rate. You might consider keeping
an airhole open in the ice, assuming you are
where your pond ices over. You might also
provide cover (plants, like ornamental grasses)
near the pond so they can move in and out with
some chance of avoiding predators.

I've had frogs and toads in and out of my
in-ground ponds (smallest a preformed
structure like yours, largest with a liner
and about 300 gallons) over the years and
they seem to keep to their own schedule.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8