Old 15-09-2005, 01:34 AM
Bob Walsh

salgud,

Many will give their Phals about a 10 degree f drop in temp.for a couple of
weeks.

If you do this outside beware of evening or night rain. It will sit in the
crown and then bacteria will rot it and kill the plant.

Bob
"salgud" wrote in message
ups.com...

Diana Kulaga wrote:
"Starvation" works for some orchids, but with Phals I wouldn't want to
take
that chance. Phals have nowhere to store moisture and nutrition. I
believe a
starvation regimen used on a Phal would lead to a sad plant in pretty
short
order.

Just my 2 cents.

Diana

Thanks! Probably worth more than that. What would you reccommend to get
a phal to bloom?
This one's potted in a very unusual way. I mentioned it in a thread
here when I found it last summer. It's in a hour glass shaped vase. The
potting material is held up in the top by the narrow part at the
center. There is normally water in the wider bottom part. It's a very
nice green color, so it looks pretty nice. I tracked down the lady who
potted it and she did it for last year's orchid show. Had found it in a
book about Victorian era orchids. Apparently this was a very popular
way to pot them back then.
Am interested in your ideas on how to get my Phal to bloom.