Old 01-01-2003, 01:45 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Magniesium deficiency

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:21:21 -0000, "William Anderson"
wrote:

The leaves of some of my indoor plants are starting to turn yellow. Imtold
that this could be a deficiency of magniesium, is this right? if so how do i
correct it?.

Put just a tiny pinch of epsom salts (aka magnesium sulfate) in
the water next time.

But let me remind you: yellowing leaves can be due to all sorts
of things, including simple over-watering. Over-watering is a
real risk at this time of year when light levels are low and the
plants are hardly metabolizing. Magnesium deficiency is not
necessarily the cause.

I'm sure that at some point in my long and highly reprehensible
life I've seen a book on plant diseases and ailments that
depicted symptoms of various nutrient deficiencies and related
disorders. Over watering causes one pattern of yellowing,
nitrogen deficiency another, magnesium deficiency yet another,
and so on.

See if you can scare up such a book and determine which of these
many causes is the most likely one.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada