Old 14-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Chris Bacon

Davy wrote:
We have just moved into a house with a large garden in Wiltshire and there
seem to be two trees and shrubs bearing ripe plums.

However, I don't want to be poisoned due to incorrect identification. Does
anybody know of a website that provides identification? Are any plum-like
bushes/trees poisonous?

The fruits are round and now ripe.

One plant is bushy, about 10ft high, has oval pointed fine-toothed leaves
about 3cm long. Fruit light-red about size of a cherry. They taste like
plums.

The other is a tree, has oval pointed fine-toothed leaves about 6cm long.
The fruits are bright yellow, twice the size of a cherry. I haven't tried
tasting these.

Oh, you lucky thing. You can put these in pies and crumbles. An
interesting thing (to me) is that they don't seem to be very
susceptible by attacks of creepy-crawlies (notable exception -
some black ones I saw with clear "worm casts" of jelly-like
colourless transparent stuff on the skins).

I suppose you've a crab-apple tree in your garden, which fruit
make such lovely winey jelly to go with roast lamb? Don't tell
me about the elder bush, I'm off to raid the kitchen *right now*.