Old 15-09-2005, 04:20 AM
Dan

Yeah it got cloudy after the lights were off for awhile and it cleared up
after the lights were on again. I have been doing some reading in
newsgroups and am trying a couple of things.

I added some Flourish nitrogen to the plants to get some nitrate to them
because there currently is none. I turned up the CO2 a little so my ph is
now 7.1. I am suspecting that the algae is the red kind as it is a reddish
brown color. Not sure on that one. But from what I have read so far, that
could be it. Also a big part of this problem is that the tank is not yet
cycled, is planted and the plants could be holding up the cycling process
somewhat. There seems to be a lot of particulate matter floating in the
water as well which makes me wonder if the filter is going to start
converting ammonia to nitrite. My filter by the way is an Eheim 2028. I
did rinse out the polyester filter about 3 weeks ago and I think that was a
wrong move as the tank wasnt cycled yet so I probably messed up the cycling
process somewhat. I did refill the cannister with aquarium water and I
didn't mess with the other filter media only the thin polyester piece. I
am such a greenhorn and I think I need to exercise some patience and learn
from the experts here. I have also got my LFS person looking for SAE (a
pair) as they like this kind of algae. I turned down the flow of water from
the cannister filter instead of running it full blast. It seems to be
clearing up the water somewhat. The Reddish brown algae is still present
and it looks like a reddish brown fuzz and some of it extends off of the
plant leaves like hair. Nasty looking, I am confident it will go away if
the tank will cycle however. I look forward to anyones expertise here;
Netmax, Elaine or yourself are most helpful and from reading the newsgroups
am learning quite alot and thank you.

Dan