Old 15-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Travis

presley wrote:
You might consider a gingko, which in some areas is relatively fast
growing. Another tree which is ornamental and deciduous, but also
coniferous, is the dawn redwood. Both of these are chinese imports,
but do well in the mid-Atlantic, and are pretty pest free as far as
I've ever heard. By the way, congratulations on getting rid of your
box-elders. They are waste trees, perfectly acceptable along stream
banks, but not in someone's yard. "me"
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I live in Southeast PA. I am removing several box elder trees (aka
ashleaf maple, manitoba maple). I don't really want to do this,
but they are huge and falling apart (occasionally dropping very
large limbs) and they are also attracting large amounts of
boxelder beetles which enter my home in the fall. I would like
suggestions for a tree species to replace them with. My soil has
high clay content and my zone is 6b. I think the soil is slightly
acidic, but I need to retest it. An ideal tree would be something
very hardy that grows fast. I'd
much rather have a deciduous leaf tree than something with
needles. A native species is preferred, but I'd consider others.

Thanks

The Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) grows best in in good,
well-drained soil with regular moisture.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5