Old 15-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Scotia Scotia is offline
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdoctor
HI,

I intend to top dress my lawn with a sand/compost/top soil combination, mainly sand as heavy clay.

Im going to use builders sand (from focus DIY store)as this seems finer than sharp sand.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt, ie contains something not good etc.

Ed
Sharp sand or to use its other name 'river sand' is generally a pre-washed sand,and generally the silt content has been removed, whereas builders sand is not washed and can contain high percentages of 'clay' the very thing you are trying to get rid of.

However if you want to use a finer sand you could try silver sand, but this can be quite expensive.