Old 15-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Rodney Pont

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:08:08 -0400, Gale Pearce wrote:

We have 3 or 4 16"+ ones we would have to
remove and would keep 3 including one really nice large one.

If we want to sell them, where can we best sell them and is it
practical to send them to someone rather than have them collected? how?

Can we release them into the wild? (There's a nice NT place near us
that has a pond full of carp but we suspect if we asked permission they
would say no).

Most jurisdictions over here in North America have laws against releasing
non- native species of any thing into the wild - it really screws up your
native eco system and plays havoc with the species native to the area - one
example is the enormous giant carp from South Eastern Asia in the southern
US

It is illegal to release pond fish into the wild in the UK. People have
been doing this and that has caused the government to stop us keeping
fish that can damage the ecosystem. Koi and goldfish tend to be
somewhat visible and are soon preyed upon but there is still the chance
that you could introduce some disease that the native fish population
has no immunity to.

It's always worth asking at the NT (National Trust?) just in case they
are considering ornamental fish but as you say it's unlikely. They may
have somewhere else where a pond was built for ornamental fish though
and in that case they may be grateful for the donation.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont