Old 16-09-2005, 05:32 AM
George Pontis

In article , says...
I just had my 20# CO2 cylinder filled up two weeks ago and the damn thing is
empty again!

I used the plastic washer (1) AND Teflon tape to be on the safe side. I put
the regulator on REAL tight, dumped the whole thing in the bathtub and
filled the tub with water to just above the fill pipe. I opened the valve
all the way and rolled the tank around a bit, being careful to keep the
gauges and solenoid out of the water. No sign of leaks.

So WTF is going on? Leaky solenoid, leaky gauge, sudden depressurization,
VERY leaky hose? Any help appreciated.

Bill - that is a lot of CO2 gas to lose in two weeks. It is at a level where you
might hear a hissing sound of gas escaping somewhere. In order to make the most of
your latest 20# batch, I suggest a simple test of flow rate. Open the cylinder
valve so the primary gauge comes up to full pressure of 800psi or so. Then close
it and see how long it takes for the pressure to drop to 0. You can start with the
solenoid unplugged (closed) to test only the cylinder fitting, regulator, and
solenoid. Bubble fluid for leak detection would also work well at the cylinder
connection and threaded pipe joints.

For calibration, I just tried this experiment on an aquarium that has a CO2 flow
rate of 2-3 bubbles per second. I left the CO2 flowing normally into the aquarium
with the cylinder valve closed. Over several minutes there was no observable
change in the primary pressure. I think you would see a big drop in one minute
with the leakage that you are experiencing.

As for hose, I think any common airline tubing that is in good condition is
adequate. I happen to have a bunch of the very flexible and inexpensive blue
silicone tubing and have used that with complete satisfaction.

If no leaks and you think the tank could have vented when everyone was away, you
can try a couple of turns of masking tape around the vent holes of the pressure
relief. Rest assured that the tape will not interfere with the gas escaping in
case of an overpressure situation. More likely you will not be able to find the
remains of the tape. Venting is only likely if the tank was subjected to high
temperature, like being in a car in the sun with the windows closed. Maybe being
exposed to the heater vent for many hours, that kind of thing.

George