Old 16-09-2005, 04:08 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Oops...wrong person. Sorry Kathy (gone) and Jan.

I will read the article you posted tomorrow.

Jim

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Kathy,

Not sure how Kathy (poor thing (K30/kathy) just can't stay out of here even
when she has totally exited) got caught up in this, but I (~jan) was the
one posted about water changes.

I am confident I will never do a regular 10% change.

Well than, I probably can't change your mind.

I am interested that you see us as overstocked.

Not overstocked, but more like at critical mass. Where everything is
perfect, but might not take much to upset the apple cart.

Could you point me to sites that will help me see at what point the
growing mineral concentration and not replacing water is a major threat?

The one I sent hotpepper to:
http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/finalnet.html#waterchange

Even though it is probably futile for me to continue, perhaps someone else
will take heed from my story. In my case, I was doing water changes of
25%/month, was over critical mass, and didn't sell off or give away enough
koi fast enough. The only thing that was showing on my water tests was very
low ammonia. So I had overcrowding and that barely detectable ammonia as
the stressors. Ended up dropping my koi numbers by half quick, but I sure
got hands on learning experience on treating for ulcers.

I'm now a believer in those 10%/week water changes, and had the guys put in
an attachment to make it easier for me to do them. Spike Cover (head
coordinator of the KHA program) did an article on, what is better? Drain
down 10% and refill, or remove from one end while filling at the other
(overflow)? Turned out they both worked equally well for reducing "stuff"
in the water column, so that is the one I use now. I'm also a believer in
Koizyme.

Unfortunately, because my numbers were drastically reduced they spawned, so
I'm back to serious reducing again come next spring.s ~ jan