Old 16-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Paulo da Costa

Dominic-Luc Webb wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, BinaryBill wrote:

Dominic

FYI Cilantro is spanish for coriander, they are the same plant

Not sure yet. I thought I had this figured out, but maybe
not.

Cilantro is by some accounts Coriandrum sativum, and the latin
scientific name is definitely koriander that is believed to have
originated in the Mediterranean. [...]

"Cilantro" is the name used for this plant in American English. It is
called "coriander" in English. Here in California, I've never seen it
used to mean a different plant.

[...] By other accounts, Cilantro,
also spelled "Culantro" is Eryngium foetidum, an entirely different
plant looking nothing like koriander that is indigenous to the West
Indies that tastes like koriander and is commonly used in Central
American cooking. [...]

Here in California, Mexican dishes use the same Coriandrum sativum as
Indian or Vietnamese dishes. The other herb, Eryngium foetidum, may look
different but it's not that different, both are in the carrot family.
The English name is apparently "long coriander".

[...] This plant is not thought to have originated in the
Mediterranean and is indigenous to Central America. The common
Mexican terminology for Eryngium foetidum is apparently "Cilantro
extranjero", or simply "Cilantro". [...]

Apparently the same terminology is used as far as Thailand. You can find
lots of information about herbs and spices, including their names in
many languages, he

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/

Paulo