Old 03-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Effect of dog urine on my plants

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 20:43:48 -0000, "ned" wrote:

HaaRoy wrote:

In my front garden there are some plants that get a lashing from
inconitent dogs.
what is the likely long term damage to them, good or bad ??
maybe cats as well..

Can't speak for cats.

I can.

Many cats spray urine as a scent-marker, both male and female.
Unlike dogs, which either squat or lift a leg, a cat when scent
marking will spray a stream of urine directly backwards, the hind
quarters lifted on tip-toe and vibrating madly. Some cats can put
out an amazing volume of pee this way, but others go through the
motions without emitting anything more than a few drops.

(Cats squat when urinating to get rid of wastes.)

Cat urine seems to be quite acidic and harmful to plants it gets
on. I have a golden yew by the entrance to my house, and it is a
favorite target for my cats' scent-marking activities. All around
it, about 12 inches off the ground, the foliage is burnt or dead.

I believe that cat urine is much worse than dog urine in this
regard.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada