Old 04-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Kay Easton

Default Fruit Pests and spraying

In article , Steve
Harris writes
Got "The Fruit Expert" by Dr. DG Hessayon to help me look after the
recently planted apples, raspberries, gooseberries and blueberries.

Am ALARMED at the number of pests and diseases I shall be facing! It
seems the birds will eat everything, although the apples might escape.

The birds will eat any apples that fall, or that you leave on the tree
too late. But you won't find them a problem.

On the plus side, the birds will et an awful lot of greenfly and other
pests.

Gooseberries get gooseberry sawfly, which strips all the leaves. Doesn't
seem to worry the plants overmuch though.

But he prescribes spraying the apples at SIX specific times during the
year.

Is it really that grim or is the good Doctor something of a pessimist?

I don't spray mine at all. OK, they're not the healthiest trees in the
world, but the apples are OK and the crops are good. And it's the heck
of a lot less bother!

It's very difficult to spray against harmful organisms and avoid killing
some goodies as well, My experience has been that, after several years
of not spraying, the pests are becoming less and less troublesome.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/