Old 05-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Frost in S. Devon

"sacha" wrote in message ...
We had quite a bit of frost last night (Sat/Sun 4/5 Jan) The grass was

very
white this morning at the front of the house and at the time of writing
which is 1250, it still. Brrrrrrr!
How's everyone else doing - no damage done, I hope?
--

Yes, frost last night has finally done for the summer Fuchsias etc,
G.palmatum looks sad, Arum lilies look a lot worse, mush.

More worrying for us are the floods that are creeping ever nearer. Lots of
roads closed all round here and they have started evacuating some people.
R.Thames is still rising (Sun 5th Noon) and it's already the highest I've
ever seen, and I've just noticed the water is coming up through the road
drains in the road next to ours.
Friend in Staines, quite far from the river, says it's coming up through a
neighbours lawn (underground stream?) and a local ditch, and has flooded
their road, the council are issuing sandbags to them all.

I suppose the human excrement in the water will improve the soil eventually.
:-(
Fingers crossed we remain dry.
--
Bob