Old 05-01-2003, 07:39 PM
sacha

Default Frost in S. Devon

in article , Simon Avery at
wrote on 5/1/03 4:10 pm:

sacha wrote:

Hello sacha

s We had quite a bit of frost last night (Sat/Sun 4/5 Jan) The
s grass was very white this morning at the front of the house
s and at the time of writing which is 1250, it still.
s Brrrrrrr!

Yes. Pretty, but horrid. I'm about half-way through my clone of your
stone circle thing at the mo and apart from yesterday this is the
first dry day for weeks. Quite frustrating to find all the stones
welded to the floor and the earth one big inseperable mass - even the
pick bounced off.

My outside hi-lo thermometer hit -10c overnight, and we've been stuck
here until mid afternoon before we dared risk driving down the hill.

I'll check with Matt what our temp went down to but -10 would be very low
here - and I do mean VERY! Amazing when you think how close we are to you
but that's the British climate for you.

Damage - tricky to tell. I know our cherry's looking distinctly droopy
this morning, had a lovely crop of blossom yesterday.

Will send some photos of the circly thing when it's done. Based on
yours, but I've also plonked a bench at the far end.

(For the benefit of other readers, Sasha's got a nice circle built
into a slope faced with stone - veritable suntrap.)

I should step in here and say this is entirely Ray's idea and creation. I'm
just the mouthy one on the internet so my name gets put in when it comes to
meets etc. (at which Simon saw the sunny semi-circle!) When Ray first came
here there was simply a rolling grassed bank from the house front down onto
the lawn. Quite a roll at that! Eventually, he got teed off with falling
down it every night when he took the dogs out for the last pees and poos, so
he created a semicircular flight of steps down to a paved area on which our
tea room customers (those that nab it first) enjoy being snugly out of any
wind and looking down the garden. This flight of steps is at foot level when
you walk off the gravel path outside the house, so caution is still needed!
Some natural hazards can't be overcome entirely but it is a success and a
popular spot.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk