Old 06-01-2003, 02:08 PM
Simon Avery

Default Frost in S. Devon

sacha wrote:

Hello sacha

yesterday this is the first dry day for weeks. Quite
frustrating to find all the stones welded to the floor and
the earth one big inseperable mass - even the pick bounced
off. My outside hi-lo thermometer hit -10c overnight, and
we've been stuck here until mid afternoon before we dared
risk driving down the hill.

s I'll check with Matt what our temp went down to but -10
s would be very low here - and I do mean VERY! Amazing when
s you think how close we are to you but that's the British
s climate for you.

I've just come up from Chudleigh. It's cold there, but it's at least
two coats colder here. Sun's nice and warm, but during winter we only
get about an hours' worth on about half the garden during the day on
our NE-facing hill. We're going to try acers this year, but I've got a
feeling they won't last a cold snap like this one.

Get a bit envious seeing the other side of the valley smothered in
light while we're still in shadow.

[Circle]

s I should step in here and say this is entirely Ray's idea
s and creation.

Then thank him from me, please.

s was simply a rolling grassed bank from the house front down
s onto the lawn. Quite a roll at that! Eventually, he got
s teed off with falling down it every night when he took the
s dogs out for the last pees and poos, so he created a
s semicircular flight of steps down to a paved area on which
s our tea room customers (those that nab it first) enjoy being
s snugly out of any wind and looking down the garden. This

Yes, what we want eventually too. Apart from when the wind's in the NE
like it is now, it should be nicely sheltered with a nice view of the
valley and also of one side of my monster ponds/stream system. (Liner
ordered today, 550 quid!)

s flight of steps is at foot level when you walk off the
s gravel path outside the house, so caution is still
s needed! Some natural hazards can't be overcome entirely but
s it is a success and a popular spot.

The maturity of that corner appeals to me too. Cottagey, sort of
thing. Unfortunately we don't have such a nice lawn nor big trees in
front of it. Maybe in time that big pile of topsoil (6' high by 30'
long) will turn into flowers and plants, but that's the wife's
department.