Old 06-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Eco' Disruption

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Tumbleweed fromnews@myso
ckstumbleweed.freeserve.co.uk writes

He would set up a task force to find out which bunch of international
terrorists were causing global warming.
--

Well, that'll be anyone who uses fossil fuel, directky or indirectly.

Which
will be you and me typing these messages in, for example.

'anyone who uses fossil fuels'.

It is being said time and time again that anyone who uses fossil fuels
add to Global Warming. Right?

Yes. Probably. To some extent.

Can someone please explain to a simple bloke like me, why the
temperature of this globe didn't go sky high during the Industrial
Revolution and well into the last century?

Because compared to today, the quantities were miniscule. BTW, the
temperature today hasnt gone sky high, its just gone up a bit and even then
its difficult to know if its due partly or all to CO2 (and related gases).
teasing it out 150 years ago when there wasnt global monioring, satellites
etc was obviously impossible. Plus, the global temperature itself rises and
falls in various complex cycles, again making it difficult to know whats
happening.

Factories in the Midlands belching out smoke from coal fired boilers.
Kilns in the Potteries belching out smoke,
Even ships at sea. Take a look at the Grand Fleet when steaming, could
be seen for miles from the coal fired boilers.

We now have more efficient house heating methods, how often do you see a
coal fired chimney smoking on a house.

Irrelevant. Many more houses now, nearly all of them heated, and all of them
heated much more, much more industry based on fossil fuels, everyone has a
car now burning fossil fuels, blah blah blah, I'm sure if you thought about
it you'd realise that superficial signs like that are irrlevant. However,
and ironically, 'dirty' fossil fuel appears to cool things down, since the
smoke particles reflect heat back! So cleaning up dirty fuel may itself lead
to more GW!! DOny focus on smoke you can see focus on the total quantities.
Just look at China in the last 10 - 20 years compared to the industrial
revolution which affected a tiny proportion of the worlds population. Dont
be so focussed on what happened in out little corner of the world, you need
to look at the big picture.

More efficient cars and commercial transport, OK more of it, but look at
a motorway hold up, dozens of cars, not much of a smoke screen over it
;-)

The efficiency is irrelevant if its overwhelemd by orders of magnitude more
cars. How many cars were there during the industrial revolution you spoke
of? And its not smoke thats the issue, its CO2. You cant see that.

Are we being conned?

Yes but not for the reasons you mention.

Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)