Old 17-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Steveo

Zarch wrote:
Zarch Wrote:
All,

Its 2 months since i asked the original questions about my problem lawn
and i aerated as suggested, but to little effect at the time as i was
still constantly using the lawn.

But now the rainy season(?) has hit the UK i think its time for the
"fall" maintenance to begin. I've got a day this week planned to do it
and just want to run my "to do list" past you guys.

* Over the weekend i plan to completley aerate the lawn with the hollow
tine and fill the holes with sharp sand.
* Use an electric scarifier to give the grass a good going over and get
out any dead grass/thatch etc
* Give the lawn a modest mow to pick up as much of the remaining dead
stuff the scarifier left behind.
* Rake the lawn to disturb the soil (depending on how much the
scarifier has done)
* Spike aerate the lawn with the roller aerater
* Spread new grass seed
* Use a broom to make sure the grass gets into the soil
* Apply a "top mix" at around quarter inch
* Brush in top mix
* Water regular for a couple of weeks if required to allow seed to
take.

How does that sound?

I also would like some suggestions on 1) Autumn(Fall) Feeding? and 2)
The top mix

1) At what stage would you recommend i apply the Autumn feed? before?
after? somewhere in the middle? Weeks after? Also, what should i be
looking for in terms of content?

2) Top Mix. I was going to make my own using compost, sharp sand and
some riddled soil i've saved through the summer. If this is ok, then
great, if not, what should i be looking for?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers

Mick
Sheffield, England.

Well i've aerated the entire lawn with a combination of tine aerator,
fork and roller aerater. Also pulled out some dead looking grass with
conventional rake.

Time to use the scarifier next, any tips??

I've got the sharp sand and peat to put down along with the grass seed.
http://tinyurl.com/7ahhj

From label:

Rye grass is added to lawn seed mixtures to give hard wearing properties.
However due to its broad leaved growth habit it is not ideal for ornamental
lawns. New developments in breeding have led to the production of 'fine
leaved' rye-grass varieties, one of which has been incorporated into Rapid
Green making it the ideal choice for both front and back lawns.

In addition to the fine leaved rye-grass, 'Highland Bent' and Fescue
varieties are added to give a spreading growth habit and fill in those
troublesome areas faster.

Oh boy! who da thunk of that combo? That's cutting edge right there!