Old 17-09-2005, 02:21 AM
John Savage

Lindsay writes:
John Savage wrote:
There was a short item, I think on ABC "landline" that some organization
(I'll credit the CSIRO in the absence of information to the contrary) has
developed a poison bait that is specific for feral cats.

John: I think you'll find it's for feral pigs

http://www.abc.net.au/ra/innovations...s/s1393875.htm

Actually, it was for feral cats. It is an amazing conincidence that there
was a similar press release concerning a bait for pigs around the same
time.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/ enviro/EnviroRepublish_1429383.htm

"Johnston says this is because while feral cats tend to swallow their
food in relatively large portions, native animals tend to chew their
food very carefully and are likely to spit out the poison pellet when
they find they can't chew it.
Another challenge the researchers face is finding a bait that will
interest cats, which don't generally eat dead flesh.
Western Australia's Department of Conservation and Land Management has
identified kangaroo and chicken fat as key ingredients for an
attractive bait, says Johnston.
It has also found the baits are best laid in the winter when there is
less alternative food around for the cats and they are using a lot of
energy."