Old 07-01-2003, 04:23 PM
PaulK

Default Puddled clay Garden Pond

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"TWStannard" wrote:

Hello TWStannard

T Anyone have any experience of this type of pond? How does
T one go about the 'puddling' and how durable are they?
T Contemplating building a water feature, and as I live on
T solid clay, it could save me a tonne of money and lifting!

It was the only option before concrete and liners, and since then
isn't much used.

It /can/ work well, apparently, but only if the ground is naturally
wet all the time anyway - ie, a low lying boggy area with a stream.
And if the water level drops then the clay dries out where it's
exposed and cracks.

The cracking problem is really only a problem when clay is imported to form
a liner over permeable soils. I suspect that on solid clay the drying out
and leaking problem would be less significant.

Have a look in the books by Anthony archer wills, THE name in large scale
water features.

pk