Old 16-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Bob Smith

"Jupiter" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:38:18 +0000 (UTC), "Mike"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

"Bob Smith" bob@nospamplease wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
Cats are classed as 'wild'
animals, and as such are subject to no laws or bye-laws.

and as vermin can be shot, skinned, cooked and eaten. Tastes
like
Rabbit

Mike

Got any recipes?

Bob

As I understand it Bob you just treat it as Rabbit. The fur can be

used
as
fur trim on slippers etc

Or a small rug...

Bob

Two cats would make a pair of slippers :-))

Mike

http://www.loko.ch/creative_corner/catslippers.gif

Now there's a good use for cats :-)) The first one yet

Mike

The Theft Act 1968 - it is an offence to steal a cat

Cats are not property. When dogs were licensed you had to inform the owner
if you ran one over - not so with a cat.

The Protection of Animals Act 1911 as extended by later legislation -
it is an offence to cruelly ill-treat, beat, kick, infuriate, carry or
convey in a manner which causes unnecessary suffering, commit any act
that will cause unnecessary suffering, abandon or cause to be
abandoned any cat or kitten and to cause anyone to do any of these.

It specifically mentions cats? What about rats and mice, who have poisons
specifically made and openly marketed for them? I would think a humane
dispatch of a cat would be within the above mentioned law.

Criminal Damage Act 1971 - Any person who destroys or damages, or
threatens to destroy or damage a cat belonging to another person may
be committing an offence under this Act.

Again, I doubt cats were mentioned at all in this case, although they are
animals, and would come under animal protection laws.

Because cats fall outside of the definitions of cattle or livestock
under the Animals Act 1971 they cannot be held guilty of trespass
under civil law and their owners therefore cannot be held liable for
damage.

There are also laws which could, in the right circumstances, protect
you from the nuisance of cats:

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 - proceedings can be brought
when, in the opinion of the local authority, there is a statutory
nuisance caused by an animal kept in such a place or manner as to be
prejudicial to health or a nuisance.

The Public Health Act 1936 - A local authority can make bye-laws
preventing the keeping of animals so as to be prejudicial to health.

As far as I am concerned, if it is a pet, it should be under control. Keep
it on a lead, or in the house, otherwise it is a stray. The old witch near
me with 7 cats and no litter tray is a threat to human health, since her
cats use my garden as a toilet.

Bob