Old 16-09-2005, 11:28 PM
David

"Joe McElvenney" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just the one conference pear tree that usually produces
a good crop. In the past I've left picking them until the first
week in October but this year they seem to be falling off earlier
than usual and at this rate I won't have any left to pick. So to
my question; is the middle of September too early to pick them?
And, is there any simple way to tell the correct time to do this
as the method of gently lifting the fruit while twisting slightly
never seems to work for me.

Also, in general, are the apples/pears on a tree ready about
the same time or should they be picked over a period.

Worried - South Yorkshire

I know it won't help but I have exactly the same problem, incredible crop of
pears this year, all a nice size and most dropping of the tree still hard.
The high winds this week must have removed a hundred from the tree. We've
lifted them and currently they are lying on the kitchen table while we
figure out the next move......

regards,

David