Old 17-09-2005, 02:22 PM

In article ,
Cereus-validus....... wrote:
Actually there are a few species of flowering plants that are adapted to
growing in salt water and they are monocots too. They are commonly called
"Seagrass". Check it out. They are not in the family Pontederiaceae though.

Hm. Hadn't thought of those -- I guess because I've never lived near
the sea.

I wonder if anyone has worked out their mechanism for dealing with
salinity, or is trying to engineer it into crop plants. Salt-tolerant
grains and fodder grasses would be very valuable in both salinized
soils and where irrigation water is high in salts.

Google brought up half a million hits on the key seagrass research, but
the few I looked at were mostly about the ecology of seagrasses and how
they are indicators of both local and global environmental change.
I'll have to search further. Thanks for the lead.