Old 18-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Bill Bunn

Default Lightning kills turtles in pond

I had a painted turtle and a red eared slider that had outgrown the turtle
bowl in the house. They were almost as large as the palm of a hand. So out
in the backyard pond (6'x12' about 2' deep,plastic liner) they went with the
goldfish. They were doing very well, sunning on a log and competing with the
goldfish for food. One evening I was sitting at the window overlooking the
pond during a severe thunderstorm and lightning struck really close by. A
huge flash and crack. I found no damage but the turtles are gone. The
goldfish are OK and the pond and pump are fine. I assume the shock killed
them and they are on the bottom.
Has anyone heard of an incident like this?