Old 18-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from contains these words:

/snip/

As you can see, there are quite a few unknowns here. Has anyone done
this sort of thing?

No, but I was planning on doing something similar when I had a smallholding.

Since you're using a digger there shouldn't be a problem, as you can
strip the topsoil away and use subsoil for the banking, and you can
compact it with the digger's bucket in layers as you go along.

If you are going to stock it with fish, you may need to terrace the
bottom, as some fish like deep water, while others are hapy in the
shallows. But be wary of herons!

The topsoil, or some of it, can be used to cover the bank once it's
finished. To get a realistic look, I'd consider taking the liner to the
top of the bank before you put the topsoil on, and after securing the
edge of the liner, covering a foot or three with sand and/or gravel,
then the topsoil, and let the water come right up to the edge.

Using ASCII-art it's not easy to show slight gradients, but where the
liner ends should rise ever so slightly towards the edge.

.·" "·..
\__
\ /
\_____/