Old 19-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Ray

If your goal is reducing salt buildup, feed frequently and dilutely, and
flush in between.

My comment about watering first favoring salt buildup was related to the
fact that dry bark does not absorb well, so it's a fairly common practice to
water first to "open" the pores up, then water again to let it absorb more.
So, if you feed with one shot, the bark will not absorb as much as with a
water-then-feed scenario.

"keith ;-)" wrote in message

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Interesting thoughts. Kenni, Motes, that does seem sound. But in
their
monthly newsletter they repeatedly point to the "water first, fert
second"
as being incorrect. Having said that, some of our larger Vandas have such
thick roots that feeding with a wand would take forever if they were not
watered first. So we let the watering system go on in the AM as usual and
fertilize a little later in the morning. They seem to like it.

Diana

So is the reason for fertilize without watering first to reduce salt
buildup
in the potting media? Or am i missing something?
Cheers Keith