Old 09-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Eco' Disruption

"AWM" wrote in message

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , AWM
reeserve.co.uk writes

Don't confuse global warming with the greehouse effect, they are

related
but
not to the extent most people think.

What is their relationship?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Greenhouse gas from fossil fuel use contributes to global warming but by

how
much is the big question, these days most sources seem to say it is only a
very small part of the overall picture. Most greenhouse gas comes from
natural sources, forrest fires, volcanos and the normal biological

processes
on the planet. The really dangerous man made contribution was the CFC gas

we
put in fridges, fire extingishers and packing foams that is a time bomb
that is still ticking away even though we have almost stopped using CFCs.

Hmmm, I thought it looked more and more certain that burning of fossil fuels
was contributing significantly (lets say 30% at least and upwards) to the
recent (say the past 50 years) worth of temp rise. CO2 has risen
significantly over the past 100 years (is it 50% or more, I dont recall) and
nearly all of that is from human use.

The big reason for cutting down on fossil fuel burning is that they are a
valuable resource that we shouldn't squander.

Well, one mans 'reasonable use' is anothers 'squander', but who would you
propose we save it for? It's unlikely anyone will want the stuff in 50 years
time anyway. But even if they did, what makes their potential requirement
worth more than my or your immediate one? Or my real need now, more than
their trivial one in the future? How do I know if I save it now, that my
grandkids wont squander it, according to my definition of squander?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)