Old 19-09-2005, 01:04 PM
J Jackson

Nick Gray wrote:

: "H Ryder" wrote in message
: ...
: How do you make this? So far I've been stuffing leaves into bin liners,
: punching lots of little holes in them and leaving them in a corner. Will
: this work and should they be put in the shed or can they be safely left
: out
: (I'm not sure if they need to be kept dry). Thank you,
: Hayley
:
: Hi Hayley,

: Making them wet will actually speed up the decomposition, so leaving them
: outside will be fine. I do exactly the same as you, but with the addition of
: some water, and after a year have lovely crumbly leaf mould.

I have mine in an outdoor heap, held in by a back wall, 2 boards and
some mesh front and top. I mix in some grass cuttings and the usual
recycled beer/cider. However it takes my leaves 2 years to give me leaf
mould. However, I have leaves from sycamore and a plane tree out bulking
other leaves.

Jim