Old 19-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Priscilla McCullough wrote:

I got up this morning to white foam all on top of my pond.
What is this? Its still to dark outside to see fish but theres none
floating at least.
Also I need to do some repairs on my settlement chamber.
Its still in the upper 80's and lower 90's here.
Is it to late to drain the pond and fix or should I wait until spring.
I really hate to do that but I don't want to stress all my koi and lose
them.

Foam is usually a product of dissolved organic compounds (sometimes, fish
milt, other times just too much stuff rotting in the pond). First, scoop
out as much foam as possible. The really good thing about foam is that
it's almost pure protein, so you're removing most of the problem when you
scoop it. Vacuum the bottom of the pond. Then do a 20-30% water change.

I wouldn't drain it. I really think draining a pond is a last resort, not
an annual clean-up treatment.
--
derek