Old 20-09-2005, 03:40 AM
Rob

Charles wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:51:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

It is my understanding that all apples grown for eating come from grafted
trees. The apples do no pass on a clone of their own genes and the apples
that come from seeds are inferior. "Johnny Appleseed" apparently planted
trees to bear fruit intended for the production of hard cider. You may have
a tree from the seed, but it could be one that is prone to disease and
produce inferior fruit.

It may be inferior, or it may not. The tree I have, Dorset Golden, is
listed as a chance seedling found in Bermuda. Good apples and very
low chilling requirements.

The tree will probably be inferior, but it may be superior, no way to
tell without trying.

fun to grow your own, as long as you have reasonable expectations.

I'd say, if you have the space to spare, go for it.

That's the fun part about gardening--the experiments!

Rob
http://www.hammerandsaw.com