Old 20-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Sacha

On 19/9/05 23:07, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

I think you mean the Eupatorium Atropurureum that was in one of the week end
supplements? I think Beth Chatto's nursery in Essex has it but so do quite
a few others.

It has a somewhat paler flowered relative native to the UK and Europe
- Eupatorium cannabinum. Often seen in lightly shaded hedgerows and
at the edge of woodland clearings it grows between 1.5 and 2m. high.
It is commonly known as 'Hemp Agrimony' in this country.

It's a lovely plant and we grow it here, where it attracts masses of
butterflies, bees, hoverflies etc. But the one that was written about in
the Times supplement is we *think* the E. Atropurpureum. We were all
looking it up and I found some pics on Googles images. The writer said
he'd seen it in her garden, along with something called (IIRC) Datisca
cannabina and other very tall plants. The article was about using tall and
striking plants.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk