Old 20-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Jupiter

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:04:16 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

"H Ryder" wrote in message
How do you make this? So far I've been stuffing leaves into bin liners,
punching lots of little holes in them and leaving them in a corner. Will
this work and should they be put in the shed or can they be safely left

out
(I'm not sure if they need to be kept dry). Thank you,
Hayley

What you are doing is fine

It does take time though and some leaves decompose faster than others
Mind you it would be best to have a proper compost bin and mix leaves with
grass cuttings , shreded paper , veg peelings and shredded prunings

I've seen it suggested that leaves are better composted separately in
an open type container, wire frame or similar. The reason given was
that leaves are decomposed by fungal activity which needs air and
moisture, whereas 'normal' compost decomposition is bacterial which
proceeds well in a closed container. We get so many fallen leaves that
the other compost materials are overwhelmed by the sheer quantity and
the process takes an awfully long time. I'm going to try the separate
open bin process this autumn. and just leave them as long as it takes.
After all, the traditional method of making leafmould was just to
leave them in a big pile in the open.