Old 19-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 19/9/05 10:01, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Someone gave me this strangely spiny thing this spring, its covered

in
orange spines and has just started flowering (purple blue, solanum

like)
It
apparently was growing by the road side in South Africa. In case its

an
annual does anyone know which Solanum it may be as I wouldn't mind

growing
it again!
Picture www.roselandhouse.co.uk/what.htm

Charlie, try a Google image on Solanum pyracanthum.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Spot on, well done :~)

Have you grown solanum laciniatum Charlie? It makes a big bush, very
handsome laciniate leaves, flowers are similar to your pic, but almost
an inch across, followed by pigeon-egg sized fruits which turn yellow
then orange. Very striking plant for mild areas .

Janet.

Yes I have it, but prefer Solanum rantonnettii as its scented (but no fruit
set)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk