Old 21-09-2005, 06:27 AM
Bernard Arnest

Default fruit flies?

Hi,
This is my first year in college. I've been buying a lot of fruit as
it is relatively inexpensive, delicious, healthy, and takes no
preparation time. I've also noticed some gnat-like insects buzzing
around my fruit, for the firs time ever (never saw them at home). I've
never seen them before. But, only around my fruit, and I do recall
having read about fruit flies as food for baby pet tarantulas and the
like, available in wingless form at petsmart, so making the connection
I dare to call these pesky gnats fruit flies.

Are they only found around overripe/rotting fruit? If I eat my fruit
fast enough, I won't see them...? Or vice versa, do these flies
themselves cause fruit to go overripe and/or rotten? Which comes
first, the chicken or the egg (overripe fruit or the flies)? Are they
an issue to be concerned about?

thanks for your advice!
-Bernard Arnest