Old 21-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Boron Elgar

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:20:43 GMT, (---Pete---) wrote:

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:19:46 GMT, Justa Lurker
wrote:

I was also one of those people wondering if/when my tomatoes would ever
ripen and be ready for picking. I had almost given up hope....everyday
I would check the garden and they would still be green :-(

------
JL,
I'm also in central NJ and I've been gardening here for the past 8
years or so. This year was TERRIBLE! I planted April/Early May
as usual but my tomatoes & peppers took an extra 2 or 3 weeks to
begin producing. I didn't start harvesting until late July. Not only
that, but most of the tomatoes and peppers were much smaller in size
than previous years. I only got a fraction of the yield compared to
precious years. I'm not sure if it was the hotter dryer weather
this year or the fact that had added lots of wood & coal ashes to
the soil in April this year. I never did that before.

Anyone from the NJ or PA area care to share their
experience this year?

---pete---

I am in Northern NJ and this is the best year I have ever had for
tomatoes. No cracking, no blossom rot, unusually huge and sweet yields
of several different varieties. Some were grown in large tubs and
others directly in the garden.

It's been tomato heaven up here.

Boron