Old 21-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Ray

Bryan,

The question is not as easy as "what should I use?" The key to orchid
growing is managing the air flow to the root system, and how that is
accomplished while still providing adequate water and nutrition will vary
based upon the grower's conditions and watering habits, as well as the needs
of the plants themselves. Good quality sphagnum is a fantastic medium for
some plants, but you have to make sure it doesn't get compact and soppy.

Phals like to have a moderate moisture supply at all times, as they have a
very limited storage capacity - those thick leaves - so you have to find a
medium that holds moisture while staying airy. That 50/50 coarse fir
bark/charcoal medium would certainly be airy, but you'd probably have a hard
time keeping it moist, especially in the dry conditions of winter.

On the other hand, if you took that medium and mixed in some of that
sphagnum - 10%-20% by volume, maybe - it might do the trick.

"Bryan" wrote in message
Hello all:

Can anybody recommend a good mix for repotting Phal's. Every phal I have
bought from a nursery comes potted with Spahngum moss, but all the
packaged mixes are a bark and soil mixture.

I seem to recall reading that a good mix is 50/50 mix of coarse fir bark
and charcoal. Would this be a good choice for phal's, maybe mix in some
spaghnum moss as well.

Thanks in advance