Old 21-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Grumach Macabre of Auchterloonie writes:

| | As every cook since Mrs Beeton, and probably for years before her, has
| | been recommending the adding of kernels to plum jam, it can't be that
| | toxic!
|
| Her predecessors, and probably her (I should have to check), also
| recommended making pickles in untinned copper vessels to produce
| a bright green colour.
|
| Possibly - but then she didn't write her recipes, and probably tried
| very few of them. Thet were mainly sent in by readers of the magazine
| which bore her name (published by Mr. Beeton).

It was standard practice. What I was pointing out is that such
long-standing usage doesn't provide any evidence of harmlessness.

| Many of the published recipes are pure spoof, and I hope the wags who
| sent them in are being roasted down under [1] for all the gallons of
| wasted cream, butter, eggs, etc..

Most of them are very practical - in fact, I don't know of any
that aren't. You may not be a cholesterolic, but many people
were then, and there are some of us who still are :-)

Can you give the number[*] of one that you regard as pure spoof?
[*] Original edition. Or other identification.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.