Old 21-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Lynn

I hate fruit flies and this is the time of year for them. wash your fruit as
soon as you bring it home and for the next month stay away from bananas (
they seem to be the worse for flies) and only buy what you can eat in a day
or two.

They are just a nuisance and will be gone soon enough.
try making a catcher for the ones you already have. take a small bottle put
in a small piece of banana peel in, and cover with clear wrap with a small
hole poked into the middle. they will fly in but can't get out.

--
Lynn
"Bernard Arnest" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
This is my first year in college. I've been buying a lot of fruit as
it is relatively inexpensive, delicious, healthy, and takes no
preparation time. I've also noticed some gnat-like insects buzzing
around my fruit, for the firs time ever (never saw them at home). I've
never seen them before. But, only around my fruit, and I do recall
having read about fruit flies as food for baby pet tarantulas and the
like, available in wingless form at petsmart, so making the connection
I dare to call these pesky gnats fruit flies.

Are they only found around overripe/rotting fruit? If I eat my fruit
fast enough, I won't see them...? Or vice versa, do these flies
themselves cause fruit to go overripe and/or rotten? Which comes
first, the chicken or the egg (overripe fruit or the flies)? Are they
an issue to be concerned about?

thanks for your advice!
-Bernard Arnest