Old 21-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| A question of salt. If I treat my pickling onions with salt is any of
| this salt present in the pickle? It is important in this house that we
| espouse salt as much as possible. A supplementary question, if they are
| not salted what is the disadvantage?

Yes, lots. And they will not keep. Salt is used to remove water,
to create acidity (don't ask me how), and to be in itself hostile
to bacteria, fungi etc.

If you have problems with salt, you could try part-drying the
onions (you may need to cut them in half) and then pickling
in STRONG vinegar (do not boil it, as that reduces its strength).
They would then keep.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.