Old 21-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Grumach Macabre of Auchterloonie

The message
In article ,
Broadback writes:

| A question of salt. If I treat my pickling onions with salt is any of
| this salt present in the pickle? It is important in this house that we
| espouse salt as much as possible.

ITYM eschew?

A supplementary question, if they are
| not salted what is the disadvantage?

Yes, lots. And they will not keep. Salt is used to remove water,

And much of it remains behind. Not a lot attaches to the onions.

to create acidity (don't ask me how), and to be in itself hostile
to bacteria, fungi etc.

The chloride ions and the hydrogen ions in the pickle from
(respectively) the salt and the acetic acid act as if they were
hydrochloric acid.

If you want to clean (say) a furred-up vase or decanter, leave a weak
solution of salt and vinegar in it for a week or two.

If you have problems with salt, you could try part-drying the
onions (you may need to cut them in half) and then pickling
in STRONG vinegar (do not boil it, as that reduces its strength).
They would then keep.

Onions dessicate well in the airing cupboard, but it's as well to remove
the usual clothing, etc..

--

,,,
}»«üüüü(@