Old 21-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Daniel Morrow

Mid posted.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barna"
Newsgroups: rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 10:58 PM
Subject: Wood

I put the wood into the tank today, after soaking it with a bit of bleach,
washing it off after and then leaving to dry for the past few days. It

looks
absolutely fantastic along with the rocks i have and the fish love it.
I heard somewhere that algae eaters like wood in the tank, is this true?

Plecostomus algae eaters love it! They actually eat it (very slowly). Good
luck and later!

was thinking of getting a few, just to keep the tank nice and clean.

Thanks for all your input

For the record, all wood "rots".
If ther wood is dense and old, it will be fine for use.
Any softer rotten parts should be cut and removed, generally anything
that you can pick off with the fingernail is too soft.

I've collected wood for nearly 25 years, never had an issue.
I do not use bleach, there is no need or issues with critters/bacteria
etc.
They leave or die once you submerge the wood for awhile.

Regards,
Tom Barr