Old 22-09-2005, 08:58 AM
p.k.

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"80/20" wrote in
message ...
I have a Melianthus that has been outside in a sheltered border for
about 4 years and stands at 4 feet tall.
I have seen pictures of plants flowering, but mine hasn't even
suggested a flower bud - how long does it take for one to reach
flowering age?

Also it is starting to out grow its position, can it be moved safely?

Thanks
Steve

They flower on the stems that over winter so you need to be in a mild
place to see them flower. Mine tries each year but always gets got
just before the flowers open, 3 miles away they flower every year. To
be honest the flower is not worth the tatty mess of old stems you
have to put up with.
Moving them? no idea, hopefully someone will have done it, I cant see
why they should be especially difficult.

Mine flowered for the first time this year. (London sw19) Not surprising as
this was only the second year I had not cut down the old leaves over winter,
last summer it sulked after being moved but is now happily settling in.
Still not as big as it used to get in its original position but it is drier
and it is settling into a new home.

pk