Old 22-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Cat(h)

Default Dahlias and viruses (?)

Last Spring, I planted a number of dahlias which came as bare-root
bulbs. Only about 5 did anything at all, but their continuing
performance has really made up for those that didn't show.

Where I planted them, a plant came up, substantially similar in
structure to Dahlias - same size, same kind of stems, same kind of
general look, etc. -, but not quite. By that I mean it has more
intricately contoured leaves, and "flower" thingies that are most
definitely totally unlike a Dahlia of any description, seen as they are
tiny little obstinately green things in clusters along to top of the
stems in "spire" formation.

Now, I understand that Dahlias are prone to some types of viruses, and
I have seen other plants prone to viruses grow to look something
completely unlike what they would have were they sound.

Am I completely off my rockers, or could it be that this plant is a
virused dahlia? I must specify that I do not believe/recall that I
planted anything other than dahlias in that part of my border.

I will take photos this w/e to submit to the august in-house experts.
Thanks, though, for your early reactions to my suspicions. Are they
totally mad?

TIA!
Cat(h)
The world swirls...