Old 22-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Steve

Ted, let me add to the other 2 replies I see so far.

In spite of what you see, you probably have less problems with the Phrag
and more problems with the Paph than you think. What the Phrag is doing
isn't all that far from normal. A really happy Phrag will keep most of
the old leaves as the new growths develop but it not uncommon for the
old growth to decline.
If you've been leaving the Paph. Magic Lantern standing in water,
there's an excellent chance that you have rotted all the roots in the
bottom of the pot. Maybe higher up too. A paph that has lost ALL of its
roots will will sit there looking normal for a long time and it will
start new growths too. Pull that plant out of its pot and see what the
roots are doing. If you find soft roots in the bottom of the pot, I
would clean off all the old medium and pull off all the roots that are
dead. Repot the thing and do not let it sit in water again.

Steve

Ted wrote:
I bought a paph and a phrag last spring. Both stopped blooming in
August.

I was told to water them so that the pot is left standing in about a
half centimetre of water, and then not water again until the day after
the standing water had disappeared. The paph, Paph. Magic Lantern
(micranthum x delenatii), appears to be very happy with this treatment,
and has, within the past month, produced a nice little new growth......
So, what is happening? With the same treatment, which I was told by
the vendour to provide, the paph is obviously happy, with no sign if
death anywhere, but the phrag does not look happy. Is the phrag really
dying, or is what I am seeing normal?

Thanks,

Ted

R.E. (Ted) Byers, Ph.D., Ed.D.
R & D Decision Support Solutions
http://www.randddecisionsupportsolutions.com/
Healthy Living Through Informed Decision Making