Old 22-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Bob Hobden

"J Jackson" wrote Bob Hobden wrote:

: Wash and sterilise your jars, let them cool, peel your shallots/onions
pop
: them straight into the jar with some pickling spice and top up with good
: vinegar (Sarsons).

I'd question the product placement. If you mean sarsons pickling vinegar,
then ok. Many other vinegars work too. You need a good strong vinegar.
Many cheap vinegars sold for fish 'n chips etc are not strong enough.
I use an organic cider vinegar - when the pickles are finished I use up
the vinegar in making chutneys.

No, ordinary Sarsons malt vinegar is what we use straight from the plastic
container.
Please don't tell me it doesn't work 'cause it does.
It's what/how we always pickle our shallots.

--
Regards
Bob