Old 22-09-2005, 05:45 PM
J Jackson

Bob Hobden wrote:

: "J Jackson" wrote Bob Hobden wrote:
:
: : Wash and sterilise your jars, let them cool, peel your shallots/onions
: pop
: : them straight into the jar with some pickling spice and top up with good
: : vinegar (Sarsons).
:
: I'd question the product placement. If you mean sarsons pickling vinegar,
: then ok. Many other vinegars work too. You need a good strong vinegar.
: Many cheap vinegars sold for fish 'n chips etc are not strong enough.
: I use an organic cider vinegar - when the pickles are finished I use up
: the vinegar in making chutneys.
:

: No, ordinary Sarsons malt vinegar is what we use straight from the plastic
: container.
: Please don't tell me it doesn't work 'cause it does.

I wouldn't do that, though there are cheap vinegars out there that I doubt
would work well, and choosing a reputable brand is often sensible...

: It's what/how we always pickle our shallots.

.....I just knew they did a "pickling" vinegar.