Old 22-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Brian

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

In article .com,
writes:
| michael adams wrote:
|
| A mattock.
|
| I gto mine from Wickes for nto very much money and it's one of the

best
| tools I've ever bought. Way better than a spade for hard ground.

And for weed-infested ground, grubbing brambles and saplings and so
on. There are a dozen regular posters who swear by the things.
15-20 quid, and it will last out a couple of gardening lifetimes.

Mine came from SCATS, if I recall.

I inherited mine from my late uncle's shed. He inherited it from his
Irish father, it's at least 100 years old and still in perfect
condition, wonderfully balanced. I use it regularly and wouldn't be
without it.

Brides should put "mattock" on their wedding present lists, imho.

Janet

Mine is of similar age but was originally an adze. Much better steel
and takes a fine edge. Yours could be the same?
Best Wishes Brian.